Physiology of epithelium
Functions of epithelium - histophysiology
1. Epithelium serves a protective function e.g. the epithelium of the skin protects the organism from microbial and other foreign body invasion.
2. It can serve digestive function as in the epithelium of the gastrointestinal tract which secretes enzymes for digestion.
3. Some are secretory in function and they can secrete either mucus or serous fluid- e.g. goblet cells of the intestine.
4. Some epithelia are specialized for sensory perception - e.g. epithelium covering the sense organs.
5. They can also serve reproductive function e.g. epithelium covering the ovary known as germinal epithelium.
6. They serve absorptive functions as in the epithelium of the gastrointestinal tract.
School of Medicine
Creator: Oluwole Ogunranti